Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lesson 9 Genealogy

lesson 9

1.  In Ancestry Library I found three entries for myself.  There was nothing current so the address is incorrect, the phone number is incorrect.  Plus they have the wrong birthdate.  They have the correct year but not the correct day or month.

2.  In looking for my grandfather I entered just his name John Petersen and found numerous entries so I put in his town and found him.  On one entry they have grandma's first name misspelled and on the second one they have her last name misspelled.  The entry was for 1940 and it listed their children and my dad was 16 at the time.  The have my uncle Johnny listed as Junior and he was never called that as far as I know.

3.  In looking at the pictures I found pictures of baseball teams and yearbook pictures.  This would be an interesting place to go to find your ancestors picture while they were in high school.

4. I searched Heritage Quest for an ancestry of my mom's with the name Abraham Van Osdel.  I found him in the census of the 1800s.  I found that his wife's name was Johanna. I found this interesting because I have a cousin named Joanne and I bet that is where the name came from.

5.  I looked at Sanborn Maps.  I put in the town of Ipswich and the July 1929.  I found it extremely difficult to find anything.  I did find the courthouse and I know that building is still in use today.  I am not a good map reader so this resource was very difficult for me to understand but it was interesting.


1 comment:

  1. Great discoveries in Ancestry, HeritageQuest and Sanborn Maps!! Yay! You found yourself--Ancestry notes that "As Ancestry.com is neither the author nor the compiler of the data in its indexes, we cannot assume responsibility for the accuracy of this information. Please exercise caution when judging the accuracy of data in the U.S. Public Records Index. Some addresses and telephone numbers are invalid and birthdates may be inaccurate as well."

    For Sanborn Maps, I find it useful to download the map I want to view. It will save as pdf and then it is much easier to zoom and navigate around. Hope that helps future explorations!

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete